Tips for Hosting A Successful Open House
Hosting an Open House is one of the steps taken in order to increase your homes marketability and exposure. An Open House allows anyone to come into your home during a specified date and time period. Potential buyers are able to walk through your home with your listing agent viewing all of the features of your home. This is often very beneficial to buyers because they are able to speak with the listing agent directly and are able to find out certain features and bonuses of the home.
A few tips for hosting a successful Open House:
- “There’s an App for that”- As soon as you are able to let your agent know that you can have an Open House that weekend let them know! There are many different internet marketing tools that your agent can use to maximize your homes exposure
- Signage- Make sure your agent puts up ample signage around your neighbourhood!
- Use your “Nosey Neighbours” to your advantage- Quite often if your home has had any recent upgrades or perhaps is the first one on a new street to go for sale you may have “nosey neighbours” travelling through looking at the work you have done to your house. Embrace it! Maybe they have a friend who has said countless times “I would love to move to your area” They could help give you potential buyers through word of mouth, and they are able to sell your neighbourhood and community the best- after all they are a part of it!
- At this point your home has already been listed and should be in tip top shape organizationally! Maintaining this throughout the week prior to an Open House will allow you to do a “quick clean” ensuring all surfaces are sparkling!
- Scents- as discussed in our previous blog reduce the scent of certain foods, pet odour, and strong perfumes prior to an Open House. Have windows Open the night before for natural air to flow through the home and stick to scents such as –Clean Linen sprays, or the scent of baked cookies!
- Depersonalize- With the Christmas Season around the corner depersonalizing your home also pertains to the exterior. Try to avoid “griswolding” your home. Although I’m sure the neighbours get a kick out of it every year to potential buyers it can be distracting. Not sure about something? ASK!
- Pets- sometimes it is hard to take your pet everywhere you go throughout the for sale process however having your pet out of the house during an Open House is suggested
- Light Fixtures- is there a light bulb that has burnt out? Replace it right away! Or let your agent know so they can bring one while they are on their way... having ample lighting is very important during any showing or Open House!
These are just 8 Simple Steps that you can take to help your Real Estate Professional to host a successful Open House on your behalf. Often sellers are un sure of certain things within their home and how they could negatively impact their homes salability. At The Fresh Approach Real Estate Team we visit your house prior to having our first Open House and take pictures and create feature sheets to give out to potential buyers and ensure your home has been properly staged.
Interested in seeing how we host an Open House? We will be hosting an Open House at 311 Hobbs Crescent in Milton this Saturday December 15th! Come by and view this gorgeous town home, and maybe we can answer questions for you!
The Fresh Approach Real Estate Team,
Allana Thompson, Christy D’Oliveira, Kyrsten Feere